Taking Inventory

It’s been quiet around here of late because the booze has all been packed away. I’m in the process of refinishing my bar top, which had been painted with a white latex paint by the previous homeowners. Years of liberal dashings of bitters, drips of wine and rings of godknowswhatelse had taken their toll on the surface and I just couldn’t stand it any longer. It’s remarkable how quickly an Angostura stain will set… pretty much instantaneously, in my experience, and it’s not a nice color. That’s all gone now, thanks to the intervention of some potent chemicals, elbow grease, various grades of sandpaper and lots of vacuuming. Now I’ve just to stain it and apply several protective layers of spar urethane. Shouldn’t be more than a week or so.

In boxing all the bottles up, I took the opportunity to dispose of some of the more questionable items that had been hiding in the shadows (where did that blackberry Manischewitz come from?), and inventory the rest of the stock. Not because it’s a particularly exciting read, but because it’s likely to be a long, long time before I do it again. It seemed a worthwhile exercise.

This shouldn’t be taken as a definitive list, mind, but a snapshot. Base spirits rotate in and out on whims, or as they are consumed. Liqueurs tend to stick around a lot longer and to be augmented when something new is called for. Noilly Prat is no longer distributed in Oregon, which is saddening, so I must pick up some Vya soon. I really should keep a vodka around, just to be polite. Do please comment if there’s something missing that you consider an essential ingredient.

Whisk(e)ys
Cutty Sark Scotch, Eagle Rare Single Barrel Bourbon, Elijah Craig 12 year Bourbon, John Powers Irish, Old Overholt Rye, Pappy van Winkle Family Reserve 15 Bourbon, Teachers Highland Cream

Gins
Aviation, Bombay Sapphire, Mr. Boston Sloe Gin, Plymouth, Seagrams Extra Dry

Rums
10 Cane, Bacardi 151, Bacardi Superior, Cruzan Blackstrap, Lemon Hart Demerara 151, Maui Dark, Mount Gay Eclipse, Mount Gay Special Reserve, Myers’s Jamaican, Pirassununga Cachaça 51, Rhum Barbancourt 5 star

Brandies
Alto del Carmen Pisco, Clear Creek Douglas Fir Eau de Vie, Courvoisier VS, Koenig Apricot Brandy, Koenig Peach Brandy, Laird’s Applejack, Slakethirst Apple Brandy

Liqueurs, Cordials &c.
Amaretto di Amore, Benedictine, Bols Blue Curaçao, Bols Crème de Cacao, Bols Orange Curaçao, Bols White Crème de Menthe, Campari, Cynar, Chateau Monet Liqueur Frambois, Cherry Heering, Cointreau, Crème de Cassis de Bourgogne, DeKuyper’s Peachtree Schnapps, Drambuie, Fernet Branca, Frangelico, Galliano, Green Chartreuse, Jacquin’s Crème de Cassis, John D. Taylor’s Velvet Falernum, Krogstad Aquavit, Linie Aquavit*, Leone Lemoncello, Leroux Kirschwasser, Maraska Maraschino, Marie Brizard Parfait Amour, Slakethirst Pimiento Dram, Slakethirst West Indies Falernum, Southern Comfort 100, Tuaca, Yellow Chartreuse

Vermouths and Apertifs
Boissiere Extra Dry, Carpano Antica Formula, Churchill’s Port, Dubonnet Rouge, Hartley & Gibson’s Dry Fino Sherry, Lillet Blanc, Martini & Rossi Rosso, Punt e Mes

Pastis
Herbsaint, Pernod

Bitters
Angostura Bitters, Fee Brothers Mint Bitters, Fee Brothers Old Fashioned Bitters, Fee Brothers Peach Bitters, Fee Brothers West Indies Orange Bitters, Holland House Orange Bitters, Peychaud Bitters, Regans’ Orange Bitters No. 6, Underberg Bitters

Misc
A. Monteaux Orange Flower Water, Demerara Simple Syrup (1:1), Everclear, Fee Brothers Fee Foam, Fee Brothers West Indies Style Falernum, Nalewka Babuni Peach something-or-other, Pimm’s No. 1, R&L Sweet and Dandy Mauby Syrup, Slakethirst Lapsang Souchong Vodka, Slakethirst Grenadine, Stone’s Original Green Ginger Wine, Torani Orgeat

*Twice across the equator between 04.02.2005 and 27.05.2005 on the M.V. Taronga.

Tags: , ,

12 Responses to “Taking Inventory”

1. Malisams says:

Okay, okay, I’ll come over and drink with you. No need to get pushy…

I’ll bring the Dow’s 30-Year Tawny Port, which you seem to lack, and which is SO EFFING GOOD.

That is all. Oh wait–pictures of the new bar forthcoming?

2. Malcolm says:

Excellent list. I’m just starting to get (back) into this myself, and I’m pleased to see Teachers Highland Cream on your scotch list. It’s easily the best blend I’ve ever had, and I’ve learned it contains far more single-malt than any other blend available.

I’m currently on a bit of a Manhattan kick, and I’m investigating ryes. So far, Old Overholt is in the lead. I’ve also tried the Sazerac 6 year old, but I find it as an unpleasant iodine aftertaste.

Re: vodka. I enjoy a good vodka martini from time to time, and so I’ve also been trying to find a decent vodka. The high end ones are so clean as to be without character (I’m thinking Grey Goose here) and run of the mill ones are often rather icky (i.e. Absolut). Best so far, for my tastes, has been Monopolwa. Inexpensive too.

As a final note, have you tried Hendrick’s gin? It’s interesting, flavored with cucumber and rose water. Strange, but interesting.

3. Sarah says:

Just had to do the same thing, and thought we had a lot of alcohol in our house, but we don’t even come close to what you’ve got! Did throw away a couple of things that I know were older than our 20 year old son! Figured it was time

4. I would like to invite you to join an online conference of drink bloggers: Drink. Blog. Talk 2007. It will be held between September 22 and 29, 2007 and anybody who blogs about alcoholic drink is invited to take part. I have not been able to find a contact email on your site so, if you are interested, please contact me at japanesewhisky at gmail.com and I will send you out an invite. If you want to find out more about who I am, I blog at Nonjatta.blogspot.com about Japanese whisky. The idea for the conference came out of a discussion between myself, Kevin Erskine (of Scotchblog.com) and Jeffrey Morgenthaler (of JeffreyMorgenthaler.com) on a thread at Kevin’s blog. I hope you will be able to take part.

5. [...] There will be spills, sprays, and spots. And lots of the ingredients in a well-stocked bar, like Angustora Bitters or pomegranate juice, will stain very quickly and easily. You need to choose surfaces that not only [...]

6. Deb says:

My children are getting to the age when we need to keep an eye on the liquor cabinet and in fact lock it so i did inventory just like I used to do when I tended bar and made a record. We don’t drink a lot out of the stock so it should be obvious when the level are down. I would suggest that everyone do the same if there are children around. Better you know than not.

7. Jeff says:

Oh wow you have a ton of bottles. My cheap self only buys like 3 at a time…haha. Save some Bombay for me :-)

8. Frank says:

Deb I was one of those children getting into my dads liquor cabinet, and then filling the scotch I drank back up with water lol

Thats a mighty fine collection you got there, I just read your post on Slakethirst West Indies Falernum, definitely gotta mix that up sometime :)

9. Aruba boy says:

God what an amazing collection, I love some key gems like: Antica Formula, Jacquin’s Creme de Cassis (my wife love’s this one) and the old good John Powers . Thanks for sharing

10. TigerTom says:

I find it innnnnterresting that your most popular ‘tag’ is ‘acarpous’, a word I have never heard before.

Definition:

acarpous
    (Pron.: ā-kär’pəs)

adj. Botany.

1. Producing no fruit; sterile.
    2. Having no fruit.

11. Ostralia says:

Hey cheers, a bit bigger your inventory than mine. Any other south american drink? What about Aguardiente?

12. Bill says:

I must say that is quite a list. I don’t have quite the stock you do. good luck on your upgrade, i’m sure it’ll be worth it.