Laird’s Applejack

Laird's ApplejackFor their 225th anniversary, Laird and Company have re-branded their flagship product, and not a moment too soon. According to press releases, the packaging was introduced in February of 2005, but it’s only now that the new bottles are appearing on Portland-area shelves. That it took nine months for the old stock to turn over suggests that either the OLCC buys its applejack in considerable bulk, or — more likely — that applejack’s popularity is at a very low ebb.

Lairds’ packaging was terribly overdue for a refresh … for as long as I can remember, their trade dress has been stuck in a sort of mid-’70’s American Bicentennial mode of faux woodblock type on a greenish-brown coated paper label, adhered to dark brown glass. To my eye it was the product of a company whose marketing department had fallen into a thirty-year slumber. This didn’t prevent me from buying it — a man must have his Jack Roses — but it certainly wasn’t enticing new consumers to the only commercially-produced applejack left in America. As can be seen, the new packaging is clear glass, to better display the liquor, and takes advantage of pressure-sensitive adhesive films for the “label-less look,” front and back. It’s clean and updated, but historically informed — really a remarkably executed redesign, considering the torpor the brand had fallen into. I hope it bodes well for the spirit.

Is it frivolous to offer a disquisition on a package design? Not, I think, in this case … a wretched looking bottle can only hurt sales, and since as goes the Laird’s brand, so goes the spirit, it’s important that the brand thrive. I very much want the Lairds, now in their 9th generation of distilling, to continue producing applejack for generations to come. If someday I can walk into a random barroom and order a Jack Rose without fear of failure, the world will have become a marginally better place.

Related: The Jack Rose

Tags: , , , ,

32 Responses to “Laird’s Applejack”

Gosh, I seem to be part of an unintentional trend. The Washington Post chose to address the Lairds’ updated brand and diminishing sales just a few days ago: Applejack Distiller Aims For a More Hip Crowd.

2. Kim Stahler says:

Hello! Loved the posting on Laird’s. After seeing it in many vintage cocktail recipes, I’d been meaning to get some for years. I finally did and am well pleased. I’m a bourbon drinkier, and this is a nice diversion in that category. Now I am getting out my recipes books. I’ve only had it on the rocks so far and must try a Jack Rose. I love the updated bottle. I cannot believe i initially thought it to be a sort of apple schnapps type of liqueur. It is completely its own animal. Thanks for the pointer to the Post article too. Regards, Kim

3. Catherine says:

Is there any difference between applejack and apple brandy? Why should Laird’s have switched from an applejack product that was originally one hundred percent apple brandy to one made of apple brandy and vodka, while now marketing the apple brandy as… apple brandy?

I am told that applejack mixes well with grape juice. This is probably on par with mixing muscatel with 7UP, but the only place I’ve ever seen applejack is in John Steinbeck novels. (I’m curious enough to buy a bottle sometime this week.)

I don’t think the old Laird’s bottle is all that bad, actually.

4. Kim Stahler says:

I think if you want a *pure* apple brandy, you should seek Calvados from France. I can’t find it here in PA, and Laird’s is only $12.99 a bottle. I have been sipping it on the rocks. I too would like to find out why they changed the recipe.

5. Jean Nutile says:

I was introduced to Lairds Apple Brandy by Edgar Cayce’s use of it in a charded oak keg.
    I have been using his recommendation for several years.
    I knew where to find it in Conn. but I am now living in Sedona, Az and I don’t know where to begin a search. Would you be kind enough to let me know where I can find Laird’s Apple Brandy – Not Apple Jack — in the Sedona area.

Sorry, Jean, but I’ve no idea. Doesn’t appear that any Sedona-area liquor stores have an online presence.

Looks like your options are to try calling:
    Sedona Liquors at (928) 282-7997 (122 Highway 179) or
    Top Shelf Liquors at (928) 282-4476 (W. Hwy 89a & Mountain Shadow Dr.)

Unfortunately the couple of online liquor stores I checked state that they cannot ship to AZ, presumably for legal reasons. So, your best bet is probably to call the stores above and, if they don’t carry Laird’s brandy, to see if they’d be willing to special order it for you.

7. Catherine says:

I purchased a bottle of Laird’s Applejack and tonight mixed myself a Jack Rose. I took a gander at several recipes listed in various places and approximated something near the middle of the lot. I think next time I’d reduce the lime/lemon juice proportion to my taste. Is there a definitive recipe?

8. Maria Clerico says:

I would like to purchase a chared oak keg and Laird’s apple brandy. I live in Lincroft nj. Please give me price and when and where I can pick it up. It is per Edgar cayce recommendation.

9. joe bucco says:

I have lived in Monmouth County (Matawan, Hazlet, and Ocean Twp) all of my life and have driven past the Laird plant on Laird Road many times. I often wondered if it was still open for business. I remember my father drinking applejack and 7up. I tried it once years ago and wasn’t too impressed. Since then, however, my tastes have changed so I think I’ll give it another try. Let you know how I make out.

10. Jakie says:

Have heard of Apple brandy for years but never took the time to find it…until now. We have many a family hay ride in the fall, and our spiked cider is a hit. Spiked it this year with whiskey in one barrel, and apple brandy(jack) in the other…both were awesome on a cold ride! Thanks for other recipe’s…will give em a try.

11. Julie says:

Hi
    I’m also searching for Laird’s-I’ve already purchased the charred oak keg from http://www.baar.com
    Hope the brandy hasn’t changed in quality and still will work as Cayce recommended
    Hope this helps -:)

12. michael colman says:

100 proof bottled in bond straight apple brandy is the real thing. Black label Lairds is not easy to get even in Jersey, but it’s available.
    big difference between applejack and b. in b.

13. earle drake says:

Hi folks,
    I am thilled to see all of the die hard Apple Jack enthusiasts!
    I am the national key account manager for Laird and Company. I hope I can answer some of the questions I have seen poseted.
    If you are looking for the original recipe try the 7 and 1/2 year old Apple Brandy from Laird’s or if you are more adventurous, the 100 proof botled in bond product. The 12 yr old Apple Brandy has recieved a 90-95 pt rating from the wine enthusiast. All of the Apple products are outstanding. They are all excellent to cook with.
    Apple Jack as we now know it was developed in the early 70’s to be more mixable in old fashion’s and other drinks. It is quite a good product.
    please visit our website at http://www.lairdandcompany.com and feel free to ask for me!

14. marie giiardina says:

hi earle,
    I’m having a hard time finding Laird’s straight Apple Brandy. Do you know of any stores near Columbus, NJ? zip is 08022
    Marie

15. Kaleb says:

Having heard lore about Applejack, recently turned 21, and seen this beautiful bottle sitting in a local store, I am now the proud owner of a 750 mL bottle. I have a taste for bourbon, but I have to say, I like this. Tastes smooth and sweet, has that nice oak barrel flavor. Heck, I just mixed up a little splash of sugar water and tossed it in, and I like that even better. Packaging may have quite a bit to do with snagging new customers, and the bottle sure didn’t scare me away. I think I’ll be asking for a special order on that 7 1/2 Year old Apple Brandy tomorrow.

16. Hugh says:

I originally discovered Laird’s 12 Year Old Apple Brandy at the Freehold, New Jersey, Sam’s Club. The bottle intrigued me and the price was right at $45.00. One taste and I was hooked. I would drive from my home outside of Atlantic City all the way to Freehold just to buy three or four bottles at a time. I now live 25 miles outside of Boise, Idaho, and have discovered Laird’s 100 proof Apple Brandy. Wow. I purchased an entire case and have introduced Idahoans to a taste of historic New Jersey. I’ve come to cherish my Treasure Valley sunsets near the Owyhee mountains, a good cigar and three to four of my best friends sipping Laird’s 100 Proof Apple brandy. What could be better? Maybe those same friends experiencing the same enjoyment at the Jersey Shore for a five day vacation. Laird’s has new loyal customers from the Pacific Northwest.

17. Eugeria says:

It is getting harder and harder to find Laird’s Applejack, leave be the brandies. I have just taken it upon myself to order two cases of Applejack through my local liquor store and it is replacing a bottle of wine as my housegift of choice until all my friends start drinking and purchasing this. It would be a great shame if this great American spirit fades away completely.

18. Lee O'Connell says:

Thank you for posting comments. My questions were answered regarding the difference between applejack, apple brandy and 71\2 year old apple brandy.
    I was looking for the original apple brandy. Thanks,Lee

19. Sometimes people don’t know exactly what they want to buy, so they go into the store and have a look around. Research has shown that in these cases the more colourful bottles will attract more customers. The more modern a product, the more relevant a customer feels it is to them.

20. Kelvin says:

Its has some caramel, apple, a little spice. Lacks the complexity of its older unblended siblings. Finish is hot.

21. Thanks for sharing this informative post on Laird and Company. I love its products!

22. Emma says:

Do people buy the product because they like the packaging or do they buy it because they like the taste and don’t care what it looks like? I guess Laird have been hanging on to the latter for so long now and didn’t think it was necessary to attract new business.

Updating the bottle at least gets their product to be noticed a bit more.

23. Sandy says:

This reminds me of bacon wine I heard about a while ago. If I had to guess though I think this would taste a lot better 😉

24. Laird and Company’s products get upgraded and changed over time. I love this company!