The Drink of Noble Grandmas

A Bottle of the Nalewka BabuniI have a bottle of peach Nalewka Babuni, a fortified Polish fruit wine (18% ABV), which I found sitting—very dusty—on the “meads and other unpopular wines” shelf at one of my favorite local grocers. For some reason it beckoned to me. Probably because it was $8.50 and has a name that might be fun to pronounce.

Nalewka Babuni is pretty awful taken neat at room temperature, which is apparently the traditional way of consuming it. Traditional practices are important to keep in mind, here, because the label describes it as a:

Refined, old Polish liquor, present in all the 19th century houses of noblemen. The recipe handed down by noble grandmas has remained unchanged to the present day, lending a glamour to family meetings.

I’d venture that the unchanged recipe of those noble Polish grandmas must’ve been pretty forward-thinking in its day, because the label goes on to note that Peach Nalewka Babuni Wine Specialty is made of grape white wine, molasses neutral spirits, artificial peach type flavor and caramel coloring. I had naïvely thought that 19th century noble grandmas would have produced their peach wines from actual peaches, but that just goes to show how little I know of Eastern European oenological traditions.

Nalewka Babuni is a product of Vinpol, whose product page translates it as “Grandma’s Liquor” for the English-speaking audience. For the record, my grandma’s liquor was Old Crow, but she wasn’t Polish.

Artificially flavored and colored though it may be, this stuff’s not a complete write-off. I’m actually half-enjoying a 3:1 martini made with Nalewka Babuni in lieu of vermouth (and a generous helping of orange bitters). I wouldn’t recommend that anyone run out and buy a case, but it may prove to have its uses. Ah, novelty.

Tags: , , ,

9 Responses to “The Drink of Noble Grandmas”

Upon further exploration, I think I prefer it with Scotch. Of course, ymmv 🙂

2. Vinnie says:

I just happened to use this in a martini, as I was out of vermouth. Not bad actually!

3. VG says:

I think the Cherry flavour of Nalewka Babuni makes for a pretty decent dessert wine, though it makes better sense to chill it a bit first. Regretfully the Peach and Mead flavours are not good enough on their own.

4. siskrisd says:

We got it tonight because it had a cool bottle and wood cork knob. Boyfriend liked it straight. I think I’ll have to doctor it up a bit to even choke it down. A lot stronger taste than I prefer. 🙁

5. siskrisd says:

I kept the bottle and put a beta fish named (Rue Paul) inside.

6. Barbi says:

u8AImo Very true! Makes a change to see someone spell it out like that. 🙂

7. Trenton Fels says:

Wonderful web site. Plenty of useful information here. I am sending it to some pals ans additionally sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks to your effort!

8. Jamie Roux says:

Making liquor from other fruit like peaches has been part of the South African scene for a long time. Very strong brandy, made from peaches, is called “mampoer”. Every drop of a small quantity of this liquor on a flat surface burns off with a clear blue flame. So taking a sip of mampoer (you will not be able to manage more than that!) is as close to drinking pure alcohol as you can get.